Project Associate-Be! Schools
Location: New Delhi, India
Duration: 1 month probation and then initial contract for 12 months with possibility to extend (Sep 2012 – Sep 2013)
Deadline for applications: 1st September 2012
Be! an Entrepreneur Skills Training in Bihar
Be! an Entrepreneur is a multimedia skills education initiative to teach children in India, who live in poverty, entrepreneurial skills so they can use their education to transform their lives. 10 epic movies, 50 books (each teaches an entrepreneurial skill) and a 15 part radio series to inspire millions of young people from low‐income groups in India to
choose to become entrepreneurs and to pioneer enterprises that solve the social, economic and environmental problems they face in their lives. Be! makes ‘going to school’ relevant to employment – encouraging India’s poorest children to stay
in school to learn skills that will help them get a job, or ‘create a job’ by choosing to become entrepreneurs. Be! anEntrepreneur Skills Training programme is working in in 1,000 schools in the state of Bihar, and we are looking for the right person to manage all aspects of the programme- trainings, testing, grading, implementation.
• Teacher training in Bihar: You will be responsible for the overall implementation of the Teachers Training in Bihar. You will be responsible to lead the team of Master Trainers – from where you are positioned, in the Delhi office and ensure that the trainers understand how to deliver each story and skills activity with children.
• You will have to travel continuously from one training location to another and ensure everything related to teacher training is in place in Bihar.
• The master trainers will be reporting to you formally every week about the training related activities in Bihar and in turn, we’d like your reports, every week about the progress, issues, changes that need to be made to the process and in the end, the training and teacher manual.
• Report Writing: Watch progress through the online monitoring system and weekly, write/create INSIGHT reports that could be the base of a blog, report to funders. What we know now. Art, insight, design, trends, key quotes from kids, teachers.The weekly insight reports are essential for book creation, skills review, making the program better and communicating to all stakeholders as well as providing a consistent, ‘storytelling’ insight
platform. Ensure your insights reach the member of the team who needs to know it i.e. artists, writers, content team, project manager, operations manager and the director.
• Testing new books, skills activities with children in Delhi and Bihar. Coordinate, meet and follow up with (email, phone calls, visits) with schools, NGOs for testing of Be! books with children in their schools in Delhi and work with the MT team to do this in Bihar. Build relationships with schools for regular testing of the books with children. Submit reports on each testing session, showing what has to be changed in terms of content, text, words,
design, length and the activity to make it useable for children.
• Test each Be! book with at least three groups of 10 children each (30 children per book) in Bihar. Make sure that the activities at the end of each book are being completed and understood by children. The children can take home the activities and submit to the teachers after 3-4 days. Please submit a testing report two days after a testing was
completed. What worked, what didn’t work, and the plan to modify the content.
• Once the activities come from Bihar, start grading the activities and based on the outcomes, start revising the content of the books and teacher manual, as well as the teacher training sessions. Based on the grading write interesting stories for the blog and international donors. This will take minimum 40% of your time.
• To effectively correspond, communicate and build relationships with various kinds of people and audiences. This would require proficiency in written and spoken English and Hindi.
• Undertake additional responsibilities as assigned by the senior managers
To be able to perform the above tasks effectively, the candidate shall be expected to work in close coordination with the state and the Delhi team.
Skills & attributes required
• Knowledge and experience of participating in a large scale project
• Ability to manage people, communicate with different stakeholders and multi-task at a distance.
• Ability to coordinate and manage all aspects of the project
• Highly motivated and a self-starter with a solid level of commitment
• Excellent organizational and management skills/ability to prioritize
• Ability to contribute in a team environment and manage a team
• Computer proficiency and proficiency in M.S. Office (Excel, Power Point and Word)
• Must be passionate about the development sector and creating social change through entrepreneurship
• Postgraduate degree (preferably in management or social sciences or social work)
• At least 1 year of focused experience with a reputed national/international NGO in:
o Training school teachers in India.
o Tool creation and analysis- Proven work with the Indian school system
o Experience of working as the program management team member
In addition to the above technical competencies and qualifications, the candidate should be:
• Willing to travel extensively to conduct trainings, to coordinate and monitor evaluations on the field. He/She
should be able to adjust and work in tough field situations.
• Willing to spend a lot of time in coordinating with state teams
• Able to handle work pressures and deliver under tight schedules
• Able to work well in teams and lead teams, when required to do so
Supervision: You will report to Project Manager and Operations Manager on a day to day basis about the progress of the program and training.
How to Apply:
Please send us a one-page cover letter sharing with us who you are, what you think you can contribute to GTS and what
you would like to learn (only applications with a one-page letter will be acknowledged and considered); please also
include your CV with minimum two professional references.
• Please send the cover letter and the CV to firstname.lastname@example.org and copy it to email@example.com, no calls please.
• Please send the files in the word format and name them as coverletter_Name and CV_Name respectively.
• Address the email to Ms Ayesha Hassanwalia and mention ‘Application for position of Project Associate – Be! Schools’ in the subject line.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Communication, design & innovation for the poorest children: how to change the way things are
We’re looking for a writer, designer, inspired communicator and ‘can do, will make it happen’ colleague to
Design, launch and run two online social media campaigns to inspire individuals to send a set of beautiful skills books to schools in India + invest in emerging entrepreneurs who live in poverty
Write the script and story-board a ‘design innovation’ communication movie about our current project Be! an Entrepreneur – how it works, how it matters, how it changes the way things are (for this it may be easier if you are based in India but we’re open to any way of collaborating)
Get the word out. Design. Innovation. India. Children. Education. Media. Books. Movies. Risk Capital. Impact. Change.
This is you if, design innovation for the poorest children moves you. You know how to create a message and get it out there. You love working with design teams (or are a designer), you like working long-distance (we’re in India) or up-close with children and stories (you’re in India). You already have ideas and can’t wait to tell us about them.
Please have a look at us online on www.goingtoschoolcom ‘Be! an Entrepreneur’ and on www.befundindia.com
If you think this is you – tell us about you and send us something inspired. firstname.lastname@example.org